At Sphere, we're building the future of group chat to turn groups into close, vibrant, purposeful and productive communities. Join our passionate team and help us build a better way for people to come together online.
What you will do
- Write tested, maintainable code that scales with our growing user base
- Participate in code reviews following our Engineering guidelines and processes
- Build beautiful user experiences in native code and contribute to AppCore, our Kotlin Multiplatform shared frontend framework.
- Participate in squads alongside product managers, backend engineers, designers and data scientists where you will take a company goal and collaboratively get from solution discovery to development, delivery and analysis, having a meaningful impact throughout the squad process.
Who you are
Our role is for a mid-level Software Engineer, you should apply if:
- You, or a team you were part of, shipped at least one app to the Play Store
- You’re passionate about UI and building delightful user experiences.
- You’re excited to master reactive programming to build data-rich mobile applications.
- You’re keen to explore new ways of leveraging multi-platform frameworks that enable mobile teams to share more knowledge and code.
- You have a good understanding of Computer Science concepts such as concurrency, data structures, algorithms and their space and time complexity.
What we do technically
AppCore, our multi platform framework
The AppCore project powers the domain layer of both our Android and our iOS apps, and is enabled by Kotlin Multiplatform Mobile. It involves:
- A database-first, unidirectional data flow architecture, Kotlin Coroutines and SQLDelight.
- A strong emphasis on caching, synchronisation and persistence to facilitate the continuity and fluidity of our user experience.
- Various backend integrations through Apollo GraphQL, Google Cloud Firestore and WebSocket.
The Sphere Android app
- Written in Kotlin.
- Declarative UI programming with Groupie design components, looking forward to trailing Jetpack Compose as it stabilises.
- Unidirectional data flow architecture, similar to MVI (Model View Intent).
- Functional reactive programming with Kotlin Coroutines.
- Modularised by features, using Motif for dependency injection, AndroidX for navigation.
- Focus on behaviour-driven testing
- Trunk-based development, with local and remote feature flags
- Peer code reviews
- Continuous integration with unit test and automation test runs.
- Continuous delivery with regular development and fortnight production releases
Our interview process consists of an initial phone interview with an Engineering Manager; a 2 hour on-site (currently done over video) technical interview; a final 1-hour culture-fit interview with our 2 co-founders.
You will meet two of our mobile team members. We’ll spend the first 90 minutes going over a technical challenge together, simulating a typical day at work. You’ll be tasked with designing a solution to the challenge which you will then code in Kotlin or Swift. The last 30 minutes will give you the opportunity to ask our engineers any questions you might have regarding our engineering culture, challenges, processes and stack.
Culture fit interview
You will have a chat with Nick our CEO and Tomas our CTO. We’re a very close-knit group at Sphere and our culture and people are something we’re very proud of. We want everyone joining Sphere to carry those values forward and help us become an even better group of people through experience, diversity and growth mindset.
You will get to ask our founders how our vision and culture work together and what the future of Sphere looks like both technically and strategically.
What we offer
- Competitive Salary
- Company Share Options
- 25 days holiday + 8 bank holidays
- Pension Scheme (3% employer contribution)
- Personal Training Budget of £1000 per year
- Wellbeing Allowance of £50 per month
- Weekly Yoga and Exercise Classes
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Annual Flu Jab and Eye Tests
- Free Friday Lunch
- Monthly Company and Team Socials
- Annual Summer and Christmas Party